Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Rat Whisperer

Two days ago I wrote of the best pasttime ever. That was totally true...until last night.

Best pasttime ever in Bellingham: The Horseshoe Cafe.

It's so great, I don't even know where to start.

First, the Shoe in a nutshell. It's on the corner of Railroad and Holly St. downtown, centrally next to all major bars and shops. This way, at night, when everything else is closed, it's the only place in the area for the drunks, night crawlers, or anyone else to go.

The place looks...well it's nothing fancy. It's called the Horseshoe for goodness sakes...oh, and the bar attached to it is called the Ranch Room. Neither are anything fancy, but they do the trick. The trick: greasy, i-can-feel-my-arteries-clogging food. Especially cheesy fries. They're comparable to the 2,100 calories a plate cheese fries appetizer from The Outback Steakhouse. 1 order with a side of ranch will put you out for a week, but oh are they so good! =)

Anyway, the Shoe is home to all the characters people would never think of. This night's Gold medal goes to:

The Rat Whisperer

That's right, the self-proclaimed Rat Whisperer. Now, how we came onto the topic of him talking to rats, I could not tell you. As some background information...he was a normal bellingham kid...tall, brown hair, glasses, flannel shirt, skinny jeans, All-Stars, just graduated from Western as an English major...

And he starts telling me that he has rats for pets...

Fair enough, I have known people with rats as pets before.

...and that rats are like the dogs of rodents; they are extremely smart and can be trained...

Fair enough, I can believe they're smart.

...and that he's a rat whisperer.

WHOAAAAAA HOLD UP! You're a what?? You talk to rats?

What do you say to that?? "Really? Me 2!" Honestly, I was taken aback. Oh it was great, beautiful even!

Now, whether he actually, seriously is a rat whisperer...i don't know. I left soon after cuz there was just too much to take in at the Shoe. But if I ever see him again, I will be sure to have a rat handy, cuz I really want to fully understand the concept.

Apparently the Shoe man is not the only rat whisperer, though...I just did a "rat whisperer" search in Google...quite a few results actually...have a look for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment